Monday, June 10, 2013

2nd Year of Content Area Literacy...

...these four weeks I should be better than last year because now I have the pacing a little better.

I would be lying if I didn't say I spent the majority of my free time on Sunday preparing for tonight's first class, The Literate Learner, at Fairfield University. I have a full crew of math, science, foreign language and history teachers preparing to be teachers and the course, required by the state, is a first step.

Summer courses are something else...in a few weeks we must pack in an entire semester. Therefore, classes are 4.5 hours twice a week for the next four. Needless to say, June is spent indoors on Monday and Wednesday nights.

And day one...tonight...I have the 4.5 hours jam packed. I have to remember to give the crew a break. After all, it's almost an entire school day held in one room for an entire evening.

I made changes to this summer's course with different texts and I am excited that I will have more history majors with me. Last year, I did not have a single one.

The English majors aren't required to take this course and I get most of them in my other work. The class, however, is one I feel is very important. The literacy requirement is new in Connecticut and one that I think will serve the Common Core State Standards well.

All I need to do is get on top of my energy, resilience, and staying power. I can't listen to myself for 15 minutes. I have no idea how a class will be sustained with me at the helm. Perhaps I should bring food.

No comments:

Post a Comment