Friday, June 21, 2013

Retirement, the Color Orange, a Cold, and Country Clubs

So far this year, I've been to three country clubs. The first is where I presented in September, another for a scholarship dinner, and a 3rd to celebrate the accomplishments of Dean Susan Franzosa. She is the Dean who hired me so I will be forever grateful. She's also a tremendous supporter of education, literacy, the National Writing Project, and teacher development. She deserved the applause and dinner last night and the garden bench ordered for her beautiful back yard.

The day of the event however (which was Wednesday) began with novocaine, more novocaine, and more novocaine when I had my teeth worked on. I was a drooling mess. I also forgot my dress shoes at home and needed to run to a store to get new ones to match my suit. I found nothing. My administrative assistant, Ellen, suggested I get a tie to match my orange sneakers and make it look like I was making a fashion statement. $7 later, that is what I did.

Now I want to go back for a second. I am still in surgical stockings and was in these orange shoes and with runner shorts when I left the dentist office. Therefore, I needed to meet with Bridgeport administrators looking like a clown in pantyhose and with no control of my tongue, lips, or spit. I definitely made a name for myself and it is doubtful they will forget me.

Did I mention that my head decided to swell with sinuses and then drip for the next 24 hours? Vein removal, root canals, post nasal flooding - I'm just such a fun person to be around these days.

I suppose that is why I go to country clubs. I totally belong. Not. I still have no idea how this has become my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment