Thursday, June 20, 2013

@abubility, @LBility, and Edem on the Big Screen #Continue #connectedlearning

Last night, my graduate students at Fairfield University (pre-service history, math, and foreign language teachers) had the pleasure of meeting Abu and Lossine Bility from Liberia, and Edem Wemene from Togo during an evening presentation about working with 21st century youth.

I've known all three young men since 2009 and had the privilege of watching them work through high school and achieving their current status as juniors in college. I continue to  admire their contributions to the United States and laugh at their antics, humor, stories, and wit (even Lossine's singing).
I know I am the man I am today because of how they contributed to my life. I am forever thankful to these three and the others who continue to enrich my every day.

This particular course is designed to support content area teachers with instruction to help them enhance reading comprehension, communication, and best practices for supporting literacy of all youth. I've used Lost Boy, Lost Girl as a touchtone text for us to discuss and supplemented the curriculum with articles, activities, technology and first person narration - the boys! - as a way to model ways of thinking about instruction. They briefly overviewed their relocation, transitioning to American society, and finding success in a new country. We didn't have a lot of time for questions and answers, but they covered the territory I knew they would over SKYPE! Awesome to know that although they are in Syracuse, I can still have them on the television (They performed, too. Who is Dr. Crandall? Where'd that title come from?)

If you look at the photo, you'll notice that they weren't looking at the camera (and my students). Instead, they were looking off to the side. Why, you might ask? Well, this is simple. They had the computer hooked up to the t.v. so they could watch themselves on the big screen.

Towards the end, Abu highlighted that his family's mentor told them there are three things you need in the United States to be successful: (1) Education, (2) Education, and (3) Education. When they heard the advice they took it to heart.

Without a doubt Abu, Lossine, and Edem were celebrities during our evening class. They make me proud and I'm honored to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment