Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Home Sweet Home

and back in Stratford, Connecticut without FIFA on the television set, someone in the bathroom, and computer/cellphone chords lying all around the house.

Nope. I returned to silence and a stillness that is much needed. I ran. I went to the gym. I made green beans. And I unpacked.

Tomorrow, it's time to face the future and for me, this means the immediate summer: classes and writing institutes.

Last night, too, I received a call from a student from the class of 2005 (now age 25). He was one of my favorites that I took under my wing and, as roads will have it, many changes arrived to his life including a son, a change in his path, and an eye on the future. Nothing means as much to me than when I hear a voice from the past and am reminded of the other homes I've lived in, both Louisville and Syracuse. Change is inevitable and you never know what lady luck will bring.

Today, however, I must go to work and chisel away at the piles I left on my desk. I'm thankful it's not 90 degree weather still and that I can slowly work my way into the chaos that will soon begin. Home is where the heart is and mine is in many places, but for right now, it is right here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment