Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stockings and Yarn as metaphors...

...winding, winding, and winding myself into existence.

So, I wore my stocking yesterday. Pam wanted to get a photograph of me for the record, especially the silky smooth way my hairy legs filled the damn thing. One leg is perfection. The other is hairy and less silky. Picture the wire running from my knee cap to my crotch because tomorrow there will be another from my knee cap to my ankle.

And last night...a student, Naara, discussed how she learned to write in Peru and the importance her culture placed on penmanship. Her mother used to unwind a ball of yarn and place it before her, requiring that it quickly get rolled back up. Why? Her mother felt that winding a
ball of yarn would strengthen her wrist muscles so her hands would be stronger to script perfectly. Talk about muscle preparation and deliberate exercises for the bodily-kinesthetic learner. This fascinated me.

Today, day three of procedures occur but I will not have a 4 and a half hour class to teach afterwards. Instead, I'm coming home, walking 60 minutes, and looking for a beer. I do not want too many more days like yesterday in my life. It was a spring from sunrise to sunset and too much work. I did it, but I'm cooked. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment