Monday, June 24, 2013

Mischief, Central New York Style

The image to the right is of my niece and nephew responding to my sister, Cynde, when she asked them what they were doing. Note that this was sent as "the parents" were turning right on Route 17E on their way to visiting me without the kids. Yes, they were left alone for the weekend while the parents were getting away. No, this wasn't for real. It was their witty playfulness.

And I am remembering the community of Northstars when I was in high school and how we sometimes behaved (e.g., Vic's house in Cherry Heights). I remember a night several of us also spent at Brent Power's house while his dad was away simply staying awake without a curfew and having innocent fun - we got in trouble anyways (as we should have). The only crime that truly occurred was a makeout fest between one young Vickie and Brian who found Romeo and Juliet romance with one another.

When I became a homeowner I began to think critically of the way some adolescents use their parent's home when it is left to their own discretion and decided then that I would kill my kids if they ever acted like idiots while I was away. When I was left alone on Amalfi Drive, I tended to read books and watch movies...perhaps I ate more than I should have. With that noted, I love Dylan and Nikki for their sense of humor and ability to prove their trustworthiness when handed responsibility. Cynde and Mike should be proud - not all American youth act with such maturity.

Then there was college - well, that was a different story. I've never been a fan of the stupidity that arrives with alcohol. More times than not, it results in destructive decisions. The best solution is to avoid it all together.

Moderation in all things is always best. Continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment