Sunday, June 30, 2013

And, inhale. Exhale. Everything evolves at exactly the right time.

I met with my connected learning liaison yesterday and we placed tech-tual goals in place. Spent the a.m. grading Graduate projects and await several more coming in during the last week of their summer course. Finished writing a grant and went for a long run. It felt good to sweat and stretch my legs.

After this week, things go crazy for a month. We have 11 teachers and 70 youth coming to writing institutes and I believe we're about ready. Still, there's a number of things to take care of and to anticipate. I've been reflecting a lot about summers off and how, as a teacher, I rarely stayed still while in Kentucky. I studied in Cambridge and Tokyo, did the Louisville Writing Project and then participated in Bread Loaf School of English. I haven't had such luxury since I continued my education and summers have been the place for me to work hard and save money. Before I know it August will be here and I will have to think about courses and the next round of teaching undergraduates and graduate students.

As a friend said to me, "it's a good thing you love what you do because otherwise all the work would be a tremendous burden."

She was right. I do love what I do, but I would mind a little more breathing room, especially to get on top of everything it is I'm actually doing. The hustle and bustle is so immense that I sometimes forget to slow down to enjoy it all.

But today is Sunday and, at least for this day, I can work at a pace that will also allow me to mow my lawn. Yes, inhale. Exhale. Contemplate. Breathe. That is the motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment